January: Ipsy & Birchbox
Ipsy Glam Bag and Birchbox are monthly beauty subscription boxes for $10 a month and they provide you with 5-6 samples in each box. The beauty and/or make up samples are catered to suit your needs, according to a quiz you take when you first sign up.
January’s Birchbox theme is ‘Let’s Do This!’ Its a new year and that obviously means you should look and feel your best. This year Birchbox is giving a super cute decorated box EVERY month instead of their usual brown boxes and they told us to save them all because there is going to be a surprise 😀 hurray!!! I can’t wait to see what its going to be.
- Miracle Skin® Transformer Treat & Conceal Eye & Face – I got this in the color medium, it was too dark for me but other than that I loved it!!!! This concealer is amazing, it goes on so smooth and covers blemishes SO well! It’s also good to note that a little tiny bit goes a long way. Although its expensive I would consider purchasing this because I feel like its so worth it.
- theBalm® cosmetics Stainiac – Meh. I got this in the color Beauty Queen, and its like a purply reddish hot-pink color, I don’t really like stains very much so this wasn’t any different. I tried it on my lips and totally hated it, not as bad on my cheeks but I still didn’t like it very much overall.
- Essentiel Elements Wake Up Rosemary Body Lotion – I to be honest Im kinda sick of getting hand/body lotions/creams in my Birchbox but I actually really liked this, it felt very luxe and creamy! It was very moisturizing but not greasy and it smelled amazing.
- Balance Me Wonder Eye Cream – This is a Birchbox exclusive! Now I’m still 24 (25 in a month or so ahhhh) but I do use eye creams as a preventative. This is supposed to improve wrinkles and lighten dark circles, I don’t really have either so i can’t comment on those. But it was very moisturizing and not greasy, which is what I like in an eye cream!
- Curl Keeper by Curly Hair Solutions™ Curl Keeper Gel – I have wavy/curly hair and its super frizzy too. This helped keep the frizziness away and did NOT make my hair crunchy. I actually liked it.
Although I didn’t totally love everything in my Birchbox this month, it was a pretty good one!
Ipsy’s January theme was ‘Fresh Start’ in light of the new year. I liked the bag a lot this month, I thought it went very well with the theme. It was a thick faux leather material, one side was white while the other was royal blue, and a coral zipper! Very pretty color-blocking.
- J. Cat Beauty FANTABULOUS Gel Eye Liner – I got this in the color Blue Black, it was a true dark navy color. Its supposed to be water-proof and smudge-proof, It stays on pretty well but I didn’t feel like it was water-proof or smudge-proof. Its super dark though and different than the typical black.
- Manna Kadar Cosmetics Sheer Glo – This is a liquid highlighter, you can also mix it in your lotion or foundation for a dewy glow. I have combination/oily skin so I do not prefer liquid highlighters because I don’t like looking too dewy. This had an extremely light shimmer/sheen when applied, it was okay nothing too special.
- Nourish Organic Renewing Eye Cream – I liked that it was organic! It was kind of oily so I use this as a night eye cream because its too heavy for day use. Eye creams are usually thicker, this was kind of watery but it was very moisturizing, which again, is what I look for in an eye cream!
- Pacifica Natural Mineral Coconut Eye Shadow – I got the color Ethereal which is like a light champagne color. This would be a good eyebrow highlight color, or inner corners of your eyes. I didn’t think the shadow quality was too good, it faded quickly and I felt like it barely showed up when i put it on. The packaging also felt super cheap. Overall I did not like this very much.
- Real Techniques fine liner brush – This brush came as a pair up with the gel liner. I did not think this brush was “fine” enough, it was much too thick and caused me to make my eyeliner to thick as well. I have other brushes that do a better job.
My January Ipsy bag was also not one of my favorites, I preferred my Birchbox to my Ipsy bagthis month. If you would like to subscribe to either one of these beauty boxes click the links below: